Tuesday, May 5, 2015

add
grace-1

In one of your interviews, you said Nollywood is being regarded as an association of professional prostitutes… (Cuts in) It was in response to a question I was asked. I had to say it the way I perceived it to be because I’ve had several experiences where I go to places and the perception people have of us or the treatment I get is ‘This is one of those Nollywood prostitutes’.


This is because some my colleagues have downgraded the profession so much that it’s not something one can really be proud of anymore. I’m proud of my profession and I’m a professional. When I got into the industry, I didn’t get it on a platter of gold like most of them do these days. I attended auditions.

It was really frustrating for me then because you attended up to 20 auditions and you didn’t get a role. If after all these efforts to make a name for one’s self, one ends up being rubbished because of what the new ones are doing, it doesn’t really tell well. That’s why I said it will be nice for us to have rules that will guide us as actors.

How do you see the new breed of actresses?
I think I’ll just say that they are favoured in the sense that the things we went through are certainly not the things they are going through right now. Someone could now just walk in or a producer could just see someone on the road and call the person to do a role. Before you know what’s happening, the person is being seen everywhere as a star.

I don’t have an issue with people being stars but it’s really unbecoming for someone who just came in yesterday to begin to rub shoulders with people who have been there. Some don’t have respect for elders. When they see their senior colleagues, they expect them to say ‘Hello’ to them and even when the senior colleague goes the extra mile to say ‘Hello’, they snub them. That’s rubbish. It’s just so bad that we don’t have ethics in Nollywood.

Can you compare what it’s like now to when you started?
It’s a whole lot of difference. I had to wake up as early as possible to go write my name down for auditions, but now it’s usually not that way. Though some people still do auditions for standard movies to get their cast, others just use whoever is available, and at the end of the day the person doesn’t know what the character is all about. That’s why most people get tired of watching Nollywood movies.

What makes a good actor?
A good actor is someone who has the acting skill and knows what he/she is doing. Besides, in as much as you find yourself in the industry and you’re doing well, it will be nice to gain more knowledge by going to school to learn more about the industry. A good actor is someone who can portray his/her character very well and pass the intended message across effectively.

Why is it that most stars fail to handle stardom properly?
There are different ways to it. Some of us didn’t know that we would be stars, so achieving stardom got into their heads. That’s why you see most of us misbehave.
Some of us got into the industry by accident, some just came in because they felt it was the place they could make ends meet and some others too because it is the place they could ‘sell themselves’. So when some of these people achieve stardom, it gets into their head and they throw caution to the wind.

You’ve been away for a while, what have you been up to?
I was away for something very important because in life, there’s time for everything. That time came for me and I had to obey the call. I have answered the call and I’m back to my passion. It was a necessary thing I needed to do, so I went on break. I’ve done a couple of movies lately that are yet to be released.

How would you rate the present Nollywood compared to when you started acting?
There has been tremendous change. Nollywood has done so well and we’re still working to make it better.

You’ve been very supportive of the present Ibinabo Fiberesima-led AGN, how would you rate her performance?
Beautiful. Without mincing words, she has put Nollywood on a different level. She has done far better than her predecessors. She has been able to bring everybody together and make us see where we are supposed to be.
I see the zeal in her to do more, but in the industry, we are not united. So, in as much as she’s doing as much as she has done and still doing more, people are still not satisfied that she’s doing anything. We’re just divided, but for me, she’s doing a lot.

What’s the worst rumour you’ve heard about yourself?
I used to know one before, but I think it has increased. First, it was when I was given the ‘Best Bed-hopping actress of the year’ by Hints Magazine. It’s a long time ago, I was still new in the industry then.
Secondly, when I had my baby, I heard that the father denied the paternity of the child. It was very interesting to me and I just laughed.
How soon do you hope to tie the knots?
All I can say is you’ll hear about it very soon.

What are some of the greatest moments of your acting career?
The greatest for me is the fact that I am loved and appreciated for what I do. There’s nothing greater than that. It’s frustrating when you’ve been in a profession for so long and nobody recognizes you when you go out. It’s amazing that I even got more recognition while I was pregnant and I appreciate my fans for that.

Any embarrassing moment so far?grace
I have received a slap! You know how painful it can be, that you’re busy going somewhere and someone gives you a hot slap from the back. It was just because of a role I played in ‘Paint my love’. I was Emeka Ike’s sister and Rita Dominic played a prostitute. Of course, I’ll not open my eyes and watch my brother marry a prostitute.
Actually, the role I played made Rita Dominic to drink poison. So, it was in that movie I committed the “crime” that got me a slap from a lady in the market. The lady just said ‘Why did you behave like that, you’re very wicked!’. I just looked at her, smiled and moved on. There was nothing I could do because she’s a fan. Not everyone understands that these things we do are just make-believe, because we do play it so well, so some people believe that it’s real.

What’s your take on entertainers veering into politics?
We have to go into it, we can’t just sit back, though it depends on what we are going into it for – If it’s for one’s pocket or to actually render services. We don’t have to sit back, apportion blames and point accusing fingers. If I know I can be of assistance in a certain field, I’ll take the step and make my intentions known.

What has fame robbed you of?
My privacy and a lot of things. Even though I still do what I want to do, it has limits. The fact that I’m a celebrity doesn’t stop me from doing things I want to do, as long as I’m not overstepping my bounds. We live fake lives in this country. People think that because we are celebrities, we shouldn’t be seen around. But if we are not seen, how then will we be appreciated?
What’s the most challenging role you’ve played?
All the roles I’ve played were challenging, because they were not me. The last one I just did, the story was about the 60s, I had to learn a lot to be able to interpret it properly since I wasn’t existing then.

How daring can you be when it comes to interpreting roles?
I’m an actress and I can interpret anything, but for the love of our country and our roots, there’s a limit. I don’t have to act like actors in the western world and that’s why we are called Nollywood. We should tell our story and stop imitating the western world.

What’s your kind of man?
My kind of man has to be tall since I’m petite. He has to be good looking and hardworking. And above all, he has to love God.

To you, which is more important, looks or money?
The heart is the most important. I could be in  money and still be dying in silence.

What’s your take on the spate of broken marriages in Nollywood?
It’s sad but they wore the shoes and they knew where it pinched them. I can’t fault whatever decision they came out with because I wasn’t with them in the marriage. I would have loved to see them married, but I can’t question whatever formed their decision to go their separate ways.

add

No comments :

Post a Comment