Saturday, May 23, 2015

Mixed blessings of movie stars turned music divas

add
Omotola

After making a name for themselves in the movie world, these divas decided to dabble into music, leveraging on their star power and fan base. For some of them, it has been a gradual rise to the top, while for others it has been a fruitless effort. In no particular order, we chronicle movie stars who have ventured into music at one point or the other.
I said I would bring out an album every five years – Omotola
The Last Flight to Abuja star kicked off her music career in 2005 with the release of her debut  album titled Gba Naija lowa. A song in the album gave her fans a tiny ray of hope that she was going to survive in the industry. The song gave her a nomination at the 2006 edition of Hip Hop Awards now Headies.For Omotola Jalade Ekeinde, super Nollywood star, music critics are one set of people she wouldn’t want to see on her table every breakfast. Since she dabbled into music they have not got out of her hair. While some have said she is a complete flop, others are still undecided if the music talent is for real or not but all are unanimous that her acting talent is way beyond what she is churning out as music.
Omotola’s venture into music hasn’t really been crowned with much success, perhaps, partly because her hands are into many pies. In addition, she doesn’t “possess a killer voice texture that will give the Yemi Alades in the industry anything to worry about” observes one critic. Probably in defence of her lukewarm music career, Omotola said in an interview:
“I finished my second album since 2010 but it is not yet out contrary to insinuations. I am not trying to be a Tiwa Savage. My career is like a Barbara Streisand kind of career. I said I would bring out an album every five years. The next step for me is to have my own entertainment place where you can listen to my music, watch my movies and experience everything about Omotola.”
Singing wasn’t really my own idea -Genevieve Nnaji
Genevieve
Genevieve
For years, Genny, as she is fondly called by her fans is known to be that petite, gorgeous and talented actress that graced our screens. Many were shocked when the 35 years old actress decided to dabble into music. Between 2004 and 2005,she released her debut album which had the high life tune No more produced under the imprint of Westside music. “When you listen to that song, you immediately know that Genevieve isn’t a trained vocalist. Her voice betrayed her but she made up for it with the brilliant production” says a critic.
However she revealed in Olisa Adibua’s The Truth that it wasn’t her idea to do music. “I didn’t decide to sing all by myself. It was decided for me because I was being managed by somebody who thought it would be a good idea. It was a business strategy. I’ve always said when you are not ready for something don’t go into it,’ I had royalties and I got paid upfront as well.
It was a success although Nigeria wasn’t the target. It was an album I did for a record company and it sold everywhere they wanted to sell.’ ‘Definitely, I will do it a again but I will do my own kind of song. I’m a soul singer.”
Acting is a stepping for my music career – Juliet Ibrahim
Juliet-Ibrahim
Juliet-Ibrahim
The Ghanaian actress whose beauty is incontestable has also been bitten by the music bug. Juliet’s acting prowess is undeniable but her ability to succeed as a musician has been seriously questioned in several quarters. “She isn’t yet armed with that voice quality that can make you leave every other thing to listen to her music”, a critic once said. But in a recent chat with Showtime the drop-dead-gorgeous diva insisted that her ultimate goal in entertainment isn’t acting as many thought but music.
“Yes, I have gone into music and like I have said, times without number, music is my first love.  It’s something I have been passionate about since I was a child. I had always wanted to be a musician; acting was like a stepping stone for it to become a reality. So, it’s just a case of me living out my dream.” Ever since, she has released songs like Sholala, Celebrate, Traffic Jamz and It’s over now, confirming that she is ready to take her music to the next level.
I don’t need to rush at all – Ronke Ojo
Ronke-Ojo
Ronke-Ojo
Ronke Ojo whom everybody calls Ronke Oshodi Oke is one of the actresses who have decided to give music a shot. The busty actress, who occasionally sings in some of her movie, recently released a single off her album titled Ori mi featuring 9ice and produced by ID Cabasa. The multi talented entertainer shows off her singing aptitude in this prayer tune that reminds you of a Celestial church choral group rendition.
When asked the reason she is yet to release her album despite having a lavish album launch, she said: “People should understand this is my first time of doing something of such. I think I need to take my time so that it could be done the right way.  I don’t need to rush at all.  For now, I am trying to release it online.  Very soon, I will shoot the video. I am new in the business of music.  So, I need to study the ropes very well so that I don’t fall into a wrong hand.”
I am not in music because other people are in it – Jennifer Eliogu
Jennifer-Eliogu
Jennifer-Eliogu
The beautiful Jennifer Eliogu took many by surprise when she veered into music years ago. Amazingly, the curvy actress has proven her mettle in the music world by releasing songs from different music genres. Songs like Ifunanya, You and I and Fantasy are tunes that got massive airplays on radio.
In 2013, her RnB single was nominated as the Best R‘n’B song at the Nigerian Music Video Awards 2013. She is ready to tell anyone who cares to listen that music is something that has always been part of her. “Music is something that has always been a part of me. I am not in it because other people are going into it.
I have the passion for it and I have always wanted to make good music. I am not in competition with anybody, it is just another way of making use of the talents that I have. Music is a serious business, and I am in for the long run. I have a band called Silk Band and we just want to make people feel good through music”
She performed at the African Women in Leadership Conference that took place in Atlanta, USA, September 2014.

add

No comments :

Post a Comment