Sunday, May 17, 2015

Nollywood stars are stereotyped

add



 Bridget-John

US-based Nigerian actress cum producer, Bridget John recently took a swipe at the Nigerian movie industry, declaring that most of our stars are ‘monotonous’ in their acting skills. Bridget who was in the country last December for a private screening of her award winning film, “Adora”, also frowned at the quality of Nollywood films, blaming the shortcoming on the practitioners whom she said, rarely appreciate the importance of regular training as film makers.



In a chat with HVP, Bridget said, “I think the quality of the production need to be improved. Secondly, everyone in this industry needs some kind of training. It’s not just an apprentice under somebody, you have to really learn the technical aspect of film making. The same thing is applicable to the actors. I have observed that a lot of our actors and actresses are monotonous in their acting. They have stereotypical style of showcasing their works, and they don’t have the technique.
So, every film they feature in, they look the same way. And some time, it becomes boring. So, you have to be versatile and should be able to do anything you want to do. But it takes training to be a master of your own craft. It’s just the technique that you need and it’s a continuous process.” Continuing, she said, “All the big actors in Hollywood, Dennison Washington, Rose Smith among others are still taking classes. That’s all we really need in Nollywood.
We have good stories, and that’s why Hollywood wants to collaborate with Nollywood because of our stories. We have the talents here, but the talents and good looks will not get us far. Your technique will get you far. Therefore, you need the talent and technique to become a complete thespian. Instance, before going on set, it takes me almost a month to get into that character. By the time, I’m on set, I’m who I’m supposed to be, and no longer Bridget. I’m already that character, so it comes naturally. That the way it should be.
We need to invest more in our career.”Bridget who studied Drama before travelling out of the country, said she has a desire to be part of the industry. “That’s why I came home. It’s like you go somewhere and you come back home to bring what you have learnt. I’m not one of those that would want to keep it to themselves. I want to help educate the young filmmakers in Nigeria, and be part of the industry. I really want to be part of this industry, and I am working on actualizing that dream.”Talking about her film, “Adora” which she played the lead character,Bridget said she has always wanted to do my own production.
“I have worked on various productions; from being a producer to production manager, actress and all that. I wanted to produce my own film. “Adora” is actually my first film under my company,Alliance Productions. I wanted to do something different. I   to do the normal story. I had to brainstorm with Dianne and that was how the story came up. My director, certified Hollywood Director,Austeen Eboka is awesome. He took the story to another level. Adora, according to her featured international actors. The film featured Nigerian stars as well as Ghanaian and Guinean stars.
It also starred Jamaicans and Hollywood stars. Everyone can relate to the film, because I kept saying that there is an Adora in everyone. That’s how I always put it. Everyone has gone through some difficult times. The film won an award at last year’s Nollywood and African Film Critics Award. It also won me Best Actress award at the Hollywood Weekly Magazine Film festival. Adora has been very well received in the United States. At NAFCA, we got about five nominations. That’s why I decided to bring the film to Nigeria.
In terms of production, per-production and production took about a month, while it took about six month to edit the film. Before producing Adora, what were you doing?I was an actress or I’m still an actress. I was acting on various films. I have worked as production manager for other production companies. I have also produced film for other people. I have done stage productions, commercials. currently,I am doing a reality show in the United States, titled, “The Nigerian House wives of Atlanta.”
























add

No comments :

Post a Comment